13 The Beck, Elford, Tamworth, Staffs, B79 7BT
A group of working men held their first meeting to inaugurate the club in the open air in the spring of 1930 at the Arches, The Beck, Elford. Further meetings were held at Mrs. Harrison's Cottage, The Beck and a donation of 10/- was made by all present to start a building fund. Despite opposition from Bass Brewery, The Church and the Squire of the village Messrs. Fredk. Smith Ltd, Aston Model Brewery were approached for financial aid and they agreed to finance the building of the club on land purchased for a very small sum of money from Mrs Harrison. The club, a temporary wooden structure, was built by W. Bannister of Alrewas and opened in the autumn of 1930 to provide its members the means of social intercourse and rational recreation. The first Trustees of the club were, J. Harrison, J. Hollis and Geo. Chamberlain. The village at that time was divided on all social events but a deputation from the club met the St. Peter's P.C.C. in 1931 and arranged concerts to benefit the church and W.M.C. and a better understanding materialised. Further extensions were made to the club in 1935 with another temporary structure and then in 1965 the first wooden structure was demolished and replaced by a permanent brick building financed by Ansells Brewery. The Concert Room extension was added in 1973 and the Billiard Room replaced the second temporary structure in 1976.
Taken in 1980L-R Top Row:
Is this site mobile-friendly ?